9news.com is reporting that a 20-year-old CSU student found dead earlier this month died from an overdose of prescription pain killers and alcohol. A Larimer County Coroner’s report said that John Hunter Hauck’s blood alcohol content was .212 at the time of his death, three times the legal driving limit. The report also noted that Hauck had marijuana in his system.
The Centers for Disease Control report that deaths from accidental overdoses reached nearly 20,000 in 2004. Accidental overdose deaths are the second leading cause of accidental death in the United States, behind auto accidents.
A University of Texas report concluded that by 2005 nearly 33 million Americans had used prescription pain killers ‘non-medically’, essentially to get high. The report notes that young adult non-medical use of painkillers is on the rise. Researches say teens and young adults view prescription drugs as ‘safer’ than street drugs and hold many false beliefs about the safety of these pills.
Mixing narcotics with alcohol can have deadly consequences. Sometimes mixing two prescription drugs can create the same problem. Two drugs on their own can be just fine, but combining them turns them into poison. Doctors should always be made aware of the medications you are taking when prescribing additional ones. They should also be aware of the amount you drink and whether or not you take other ‘risky’ drugs. Doctors who prescribe drugs but do not consider the effects of prescription drug mixing could face medial malpractice lawsuits. If you have been injured because of a prescription medication error, contact Denver medical malpractice attorney Will Godsman today. Will can provide you a free consultation and explain to you all of your legal options. Call 303-455-6900 today.